Welcome to my world...come hang out and have a little fun!



Thursday, May 19, 2011

I'm Gonna Wash That Red Right Outta My Hair..

  We will begin this story with a look back in time.   I'm a natural red head with wavy hair...enough said.  So it begins...at age 16 the  "I wanna be blond bug hit me".   It all began innocent enough, if any of you remember "sun-in",  you'll know what I'm referring to.  A simple mist to the hair, a step out in the sun and instant highlights.  As any "junkie" will tell you....the road to "never enough" started with just one hit.

  At age 21, I was ready to take the plunge.  My mother pleaded with me...."Don't do it,  you'll regret it!"   As it goes, sometimes we just don't take our parents word for it.  The need to learn on our own and make our own decisions drives us.  I bought my first box of $3 hair dye..this was it,  I was going to be blond.  I somehow would be transformed into the beauty I always hoped to be.  Hmmm...it didn't produce the results I had hoped, the solution?  Get more hair dye!!  This went on until my hair was nearly yellow white with a slightly darker shade at the roots.  "Well", I thought..."no place to go with this but backwards." 

  In the years since then, I have gone up and down the color chart.  From yellow, white went to chestnut brown to burgundy red.  Currently, I am a lighter shade of my original self.  A thick coat of  frizz remains...my hair seems to get bigger and bigger.  In the shadows of my mind, lurks a thought, more of a threat really.. that one day in my old age, red haired  frizz will somehow resemble the makings of a circus clown.  I chalk this experience up to "life lessons",  in these lessons I have realized a couple things along the way.  1.  leave your hair to the professionals  and   2. learn to love yourself for who you are and to see the value in how God created you.

No comments:

Post a Comment