Welcome to my world...come hang out and have a little fun!



Thursday, April 28, 2011

Tiger mom....or Chimp mentor?

 When I think of a tiger, some words that come to mind are dignity, poise, power and focus.  I had long been intrigued with how "tiger" moms turn out such highly accomplished offspring.  "How do I do that?" , I would ponder.  I mean really, don't we want our children to succeed and ultimately make us look good?   After all, there is more respect and applause when our kids are accomplished pianists.  How many would like to stand up in mom's group and talk about little bubba mastering the banjo?

  I have decided to adopt the "Chimp, mentor" approach to my mothering skills.  Dignity and poise?...not always, sometimes the high pitched bellow of  "AAAHHH....AAAAAHHH.....AAAAHHHH!!"  can be heard coming out of me in a moment of child craziness.  Power and focus...ehhh....what were we talking about again?  Oh yeah....power and focus....occasionally I find myself in a moment of  distracted, weakness giving in for the mere sake of peace and quiet.  The quiet is usually short lived, unless a REALLY interesting show is on.  Educational of course because I couldn't live with myself  knowing they actually watched something different..(yeah right!)

 Whenever I see chimps with their young, they appear to be loving and nurturing.  I guess I'll go that route.  I'll love, I'll hug and I'll nudge them onto greatness.  I will be interested in pet mice and I will attempt to help my son with his round house kick.  I will teach them from the "Good Book" and hope they'll remember the love their parents have for them.
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Nice sis! I didn't know you were blogging. Very proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMmm...I loved this! I have been thinking about the Tiger Mom controversy, and I love your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post!!! I think I'm in favor of a wierd crossbreed. Tiger-chimp or Tigimp...maybe chimger...:) P.S. did you figure out the blogging discussion at She Writes?

    ReplyDelete