Welcome to my world...come hang out and have a little fun!



Friday, April 22, 2011

Of weekly rats and chocolate crosses

This morning I had a conversation with big daddy.  I say, "Ya think we can get away with not coloring eggs this year? No one is really talking about it and I just don't feel like it...."  Big daddy responds, "well, we probably don't have to do it".  I think for a moment and I think of my grandma, who according to my mom, made every holiday seem like a celebration of epic proportions.  Hmm.....I think for a moment and say, "oh...I guess I'll just do it.."  After awhile we all pile in the van for a trip to our "we got it all right under one roof" store.   As we pass our local low budget with the weekly "rates", the kids want to know if that's the place that always has the "rats"...although funny I say," well they probably don't have rats " although it might not surprise me if they did.  We get to the store and strategically separate, big daddy to the toy department with the kids and I to the Easter aisle for my mission.  I get to the candy and the Easter paraphernalia and just stare.  There's just so much!  A few 20 somethings pass me and appear to be picking out something for every Tom, Dick and Janie.  I hear one say,  "every holiday is bleepin' ridiculous!"....I have an attitude check as I find myself mentally assenting to the Easter Grinch.  I pass the cute, chocolaty bunnies in all their yummy goodness and I also see the chocolate crosses, I'm at a crossroad.  The responsible good church goin' gal probably would have gone for the edible cross as to drive home the message of the true meaning of Easter, I did not.  I succumbed to the temptation of the naughty bunny.  I finished picking out a couple of whatnot's then found my family so we could hightail it outta there. Tonight we said our bedtime prayers and gave thanks to God for the sacrifice of  His Son and I remembered my mom and her pep talk on how we need to love people and make memories, because those are the things that people remember.  Mom is right, its not about the bunnies or even the chocolate crosses, its Gods love for us that doesn't fail and His mercies that endure forever...

1 comment:

  1. Very true on the meaning... I bought the crosses and bunnies... crosses will make it into baskets cause it just seemed wrong for me to eat them BEFORE Easter. Bunnies on the other hand well its true you DO always start with the ears!

    ReplyDelete